The simplistic beauty of a quaternion fractal...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reflecting on Feedback

      The feed back that I received on my proposal is telling me that I 'm heading in the right direction but that I need to further narrow down the area of inquiry. I still feel that I am struggling to develop a clear question that captures what I want to research while not being too broad. I think that as I look into the subject more and read what has been written recently on the subject I will be better equipped to formulate a clearer question with a narrow scope. What I have read so far relates quaternions, quantum physics and the weather and gives me a good starting point on how to discuss how quaternions might tie into reality. There will be difficulties in discussing this topic within language that accessible to the average reader. I've been thinking of different questions that I could ask; Why did vector analysis win out of quaternion algebra? Does the quaternion algebra system represent some fundamental aspect of reality, or is it just a mathematical trick? Could reexamining quaternion algebra lead to a better understanding of a unified field theory? I feel that all of these questions pose similar problems of being two broad. I've been thinking to simplify things, maybe it would be easier to focus just on the historical aspect of the disappearance and reemergence of quaternion algebra. This would cut out the problem of dealing with technical jargon and give a paper that is perhaps more tangible to the average reader. If I was to take this historical approach maybe the question would read; Did Oliver Heaviside's publishing of Maxwell's equations s mark the deciding point in the war between vector analysis and quatrernion algebra?

No comments:

...Here there be Quaternions...

...Here there be Quaternions...
The plaque from the bridge where Sir William Rowan Hamilton first discovered Quaternions.